pyjamas 0.7 released

lkcl luke.leighton at googlemail.com
Mon Apr 26 09:44:54 EDT 2010

On Apr 25, 8:38 pm, Patrick Maupin <pmau... at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 25, 8:49 am, Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton <l... at lkcl.net>
> wrote:
>
> >pyjamas- the stand-alone python-to-javascript compiler, and separate
> > GUI Widget Toolkit, has its 0.7 release, today.  this has been much
> > delayed, in order to allow the community plenty of time between the
> > 0.7pre2 release and the final release, to review and test all the
> > examples.
>
> I know I'm a Luddite, but what I'd really love to see to go with this
> is an easy way for the application, the browser, and the user to all
> agree that this particular application can read and write arbitrary
> files in a particular local directory.

 you'll have to be a bit clearer about what you mean, because it's
probably perfectly possible with one of the pyjamas-desktop ports, but
that would leave the browsers "out in the cold", thus defeating the
purpose of pyjamas being cross-platform, cross-browser, cross-desktop
and cross-widget-set.

> A Python program you don't have to install, that executes really fast
> on one of the newer JavaScript JIT engines, with its own purely local
> data in files in a simple text format in a directory specified by the
> user,

 the purpose of browsers is to isolate the application, restrict its
access to the rest of the desktop and OS, so that random applications
cannot go digging around on your private data.

 many browsers _used_ to allow access to local files etc. but ...
yeah.

 so i think you will be able to do what you describe _if_ you provide
a browser plugin which adds the required functionality.

 google gears would be a good place to start (i've part-ported GWT
Gears to pyjamas - the SQL storage modules - to demonstrate what's
needed).

 if however you completely ignore browsers from the equation, by
virtue of having to piss about writing c code, then yes, you can use
pyjamas-desktop.  at that point, you have _full_ access to the entire
OS and system, because you're firing up the web browser engine as a
python application.

 i've done something like this with pyjdwm - http://sf.net/projects/pyjdwm

 l.