Problem building python 2.7 with --enable-shared

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollybox.de
Thu Sep 16 14:12:38 EDT 2010

On Thursday 16 September 2010, it occurred to Marten Lehmann to exclaim:
> Hello,
>
> I've build python 2.7 successfully by just calling configure, make and
> make install. But to use python within PostgreSQL, I need to built
> python with --enable-shared.
>
> I tried to do so (configure --enable-shared), but I see these lines
> several times in the log (but compiling continues):

Did you start with a clean source tree? If you just reconfigured and called
make again in the source tree where you already had built Python, make will
just re-use the old object files, which would be built without -fPIC and
whatever other options are required for the shared library linking to work.

> /usr/bin/ld: /test/python/lib/libpython2.7.a(abstract.o): relocation
> R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a
> shared object; recompile with -fPIC
> /test/python/lib/libpython2.7.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

If you get this when building from a fresh source tree, I can't explain why
this might happen, but, again, starting afresh, this time adding -fPIC to the
CFLAGS, may work. But I expect that the configure script, or makefile, or
libtool, or whatever, should do this, hence my guess that maybe you're using
leftover object files.

(hint: make clean)