Supported Platforms for Python

Ulrich Eckhardt ulrich.eckhardt at dominolaser.com
Wed Nov 14 06:01:59 EST 2012

Am 14.11.2012 10:51, schrieb Kiran N Mallekoppa:
> 1. Is this information available somewhere?
> 2. I was pointed to PEP-11, which documents the platforms that are not
> supported. So, can we take that all active versions of Python (2.7.3 and
> 3.3, i believe) are supported on all the OS flavors that Python claims to
> run on -- unless mentioned otherwise in the PEP-11?

There is intent to support these platforms, but as with every software
that relies on volunteers, the actual extent varies. If you want to be
sure that a platform is actively supported, check that the platform has
an available and active build bot, because only this detects bitrot to a
certain extent. If you want to be sure, create build and test systems
for the systems you target yourself, you will then see if it works.

> 3. Also, regarding the following entries listed in the PEP-11. So, any idea
> which OSes implement these?
>        Name: Linux 1		(Am guessing its the Linux kernel version
>        1.0?)
>        Unsupported in: Python 2.3
>        Code removed in: Python 2.4

Yes, Linux 1 is obsolete and has been for > 10 years.

>        Name: Systems defining __d6_pthread_create (configure.in)
>        Unsupported in: Python 2.3
>        Code removed in: Python 2.4
>        Name: Systems defining PY_PTHREAD_D4, PY_PTHREAD_D6, or PY_PTHREAD_D7
>        in thread_pthread.h
>        Unsupported in: Python 2.3
>        Code removed in: Python 2.4
>        Name: Systems using --with-dl-dld
>        Unsupported in: Python 2.3
>        Code removed in: Python 2.4
>        Name: Systems using --without-universal-newlines,
>        Unsupported in: Python 2.3
>        Code removed in: Python 2.4
>        Name: Systems using --with-wctype-functions
>        Unsupported in: Python 2.6
>        Code removed in: Python 2.6

I'm not sure where these are used.

>        Name: Systems using Mach C Threads
>        Unsupported in: Python 3.2
>        Code removed in: Python 3.3

Mach is a microkernel. I'm not sure if the Mach C Threads interface is
obsolete on Mach or if Mach overall isn't supported. Probably irrelevant
for the desktop.

>        Name: Systems using --with-pth (GNU pth threads)
>        Unsupported in: Python 3.2
>        Code removed in: Python 3.3

I think this is targetted at early Linux threads that used fork() while
sharing most of the memory space. Obsolete.

>        Name: Systems using Irix threads
>        Unsupported in: Python 3.2
>        Code removed in: Python 3.3

Irix was a Unix variant shipped with SGI workstations. I don't kknow to
what extent this is relevant for you. I think that the main use cases
for these machines is 3D rendering/modelling, unless they have been
superseeded by common desktop machines.

> Kiran M N | Software Development (Rational Team Concert for Visual Studio.NET)

Just out of curiosity by one of your RTC users: What nice gimmics are
you planning?

Cheers!

Uli