[python-uk] word chains: impossible ones

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Sun Jun 17 13:08:22 CEST 2012

On 17/06/2012 11:56, Richard Smedley wrote:
> On 17/06/12 11:29, Tim Golden wrote:
>> I would also point you towards the Vatican's dictionary of modern-day
>> Latin (which it needs for documents which reference "astronaut",
>> "television" and, presumably, "scanning electron microscope"). This is
>> the Italian version. I'm sure you get the idea.
>>

>> http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/latinitas/documents/rc_latinitas_20040601_lexicon_it.html#a
>>

> There are too many gems in there to single out any individual one
> to note. What a great resource. Thank you. :)

Since we're on the subject -- although going increasingly off it -- I
very much recommend an article by the retired teacher who translated
Harry Potter into classical Greek. Obviously it's interesting to see
what he's done with modern words. But what's particularly fascinating is
the challenges he faced when, for example, translating aspects of colour
or natural history -- things which we hardly think of as problematic
when translating into a modern-day language.

   http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~loxias/harry_potter.htm

TJG