[python-win32] DDE

Sander Smits jhmsmits at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 22 17:58:11 EDT 2003

I have a stock data stream via a DDE server. I can connect to it via Excel.
Now, when I try to connect to it via Python, it will only return requests
which are opened in Excel already. All other requests (not called at by
Excel) return an empty string. I use the following script:

import dde
server = dde.CreateServer()
server.Create('')
conversation = dde.CreateConversation(server)
conversation.ConnectTo("name", "topic")
s = "somethingstring"
print conversation.Request(s)

This script only returns values if Excel is opened, and then only returns
those values which are called at by Excel.
Is there a way to send requests via the DDE server and receive data directly
via python without having to start Excel?

Regards,
Sander.