[python-win32] Executing a program on a remote machine

Tony Cappellini tony at tcapp.com
Mon Jan 3 23:47:11 CET 2005

I've got three systems, each of which has a GPIB interface card inside.
The
GPIB connectors on the 3 cards are all daisy chained together, and
connected to some test equipment.
These 3 computers will be referred to as system 1,2, or 3.

The problem with GPIB is only one of these cards can be the "system
controller" at any one time, therefore two of the machines need to have
that system controller bit turned off.

I've written a Python app which will do that. However, I have to use a KVM
swithc to get to each machine to turn that bit on or off. Too much work,
when Python can do it for me.

What I would like to do is use WMI or some other means to execute a
program from one system (ie system #1) which will remotely execute the
same program on the other two systems (2 and 3), through an ethernet
connection. To clarify, each system will physically contain it's own copy
of the program to be executed.

These 3 systmes are My are alredy logged in, so authentication
is NOT an issue.
Each system has a unique name, so whenever the program is launched on the
remote systems, it will know which system it is running on, and enable or
disable the other systems approppriately.

I just need to know how to exeucte a python app on the other two systems,
via a remote connection.

One system is running W98, one is running Win 2000, the other is running
XP, SP1.

If the remote stuff doesn't work on W98, that's ok, I can use this
mechanism on Win2k and Xp.

thanks