[python-win32] Python crash after win32com.client.CastTo?

Nathan Edwards nedwards at umiacs.umd.edu
Wed Mar 23 22:50:24 CET 2005

> For what it's worth, -1073741819 is hex C0000005, which is
> STATUS_ACCESS_VIOLATION: a general protection fault.  That's usually a
> wild address or a null pointer dereference.  Is it possible that one of
> those last two parameters is actually (in,out) and not just (out)?

The generated function declaration indicates they are both out
(PyOleMissing object type), but who knows what the library internally
expects...

 >>> help(theWF2.GetScanDescription2)
Help on method GetScanDescription2 in module
win32com.gen_py.5F259202-611C-11D1-A9C6-0060977F5C78x0x1x0:

GetScanDescription2(self, sample=<PyOleEmpty object>, period=<PyOleEmpty
object>, experiment=<PyOleEmpty object>, cycle=<PyOleEmpty object>,
forChromatogram=<PyOleEmpty object>, scanDescription=<PyOleMissing
object>, fixedMass=<PyOleMissing object>) method of
win32com.gen_py.5F259202-611C-11D1-A9C6-0060977F5C78x0x1x0.IFMANWiffFile2
instance
     method GetScanDescription2

Its only weak evidence, but when I feed in invalid input parameters,
which for other functions in this library generates exceptions, the
crash happens anyway (implies that even the parameter checking doesn't
get done, and since this usually is done first, before any other stuff
happens, it suggests we don't even make it into the library function
proper.)

Cheers!

nathan

--
Nathan Edwards, Ph.D.
Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
Email: nedwards at umiacs.umd.edu
WWWeb: http://www.umiacs.umd.edu/~nedwards