[python-win32] Com server on 64 bit Windows 7

vijayendra bapte vijayendra.bapte at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 11:40:36 CET 2010

Hi,

I am trying to build icon overlay for Windows. It has worked fine on 32 bit
Windows but not working on 64 bit Windows 7.

Attached
1. test_icon_overlay.py: com server created in Python for icon overlay which
adds check mark overlay icon(C:\icons\test.ico) on "C:\icons" folder
2. setup_VI.py:  setup file which creates test_icon_overlay.dll for
distribution.
3. icons.zip:  for testing you should extract icons.zip inside C:\

Icon overlay appears on "C:\icons" folder when I execute `python
test_icon_overlay.py` on Windows command prompt and restarts `explorer.exe`.
But its not working with the dll file created using setup_VI.py

I have created dll file using `python setup_VI.py py2exe` and then tried to
register it using `regsvr32 test_icon_overlay.dll`. Registration fails with
windows error message "Error 0x80040201 while registering shell extension".

I am using:
 - OS:                                    64 bit Windows 7 Professional
 - Python:                              python-2.7.1.amd64
 - Python win32 extensions: pywin32-214.win-amd64-py2.7
 - Py2exe:                             py2exe-0.6.9.win64-py2.7.amd64

Is there anything which I am doing wrong? Any help on this is highly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Vijayendra.