[python-win32] pywin32-214 DLL install error

Freking John FrekingJohnA at JohnDeere.com
Mon Jul 26 03:18:12 CEST 2010

Paul,
                Thanks that worked great.

But, I don't understand what you mean by the import hook doesn't work properly.  The .pyd files were in the site-packages subfolders so why couldn't Python find them?

Thanks,
John Freking

From: Paul Keating [mailto:keating at acm.org]
Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2010 6:26 AM
To: Freking John
Subject: Re: [python-win32] pywin32-214 DLL install error

You're on the right track with your focus on .dlls but I'd say the loader can't find a .pyd (which is a .dll really) that win32api wants. A brute-force solution is to search for win32*.pyd and *winxp*.pyd in python26 and subtree (which will be in site-packages\win32 and site-packages\pythonwin), and copy them next to python.exe. It should be a total of 30 files.

This is klugy and ugly but it may work. (It's also easy to back out if it doesn't work!)

I support an embedded-Python environment where the vendor's import hook that doesn't quite work properly with packages, so I have to do that routinely.

If it does work then you can ask again here for a tidier solution.

Paul Keating