[python-win32] disable network interface

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Thu Jun 10 09:44:09 CEST 2010

On 10/06/2010 07:51, pacopyc pacopyc wrote:
> Excuse me, I'd like to disable network interface of a remote host. I'm
> thinking to use Win32_NetworkAdapter.

Isn't that rather like sawing off the branch you're sitting on?

> What do you think? How can I do? Is it possible disable network interface?
> Can you help me?
>
> I found in Internet this code:
>
> import wmi;
> c = wmi.WMI()
> o = c.query("select * from Win32_NetworkAdapter where
> NetConnectionID='wifi'")[0]
> o.EnableDevice(1)

Well, the Win32_NetworkAdapter class doesn't have an EnableDevice method
AFAICS, although it has Enable and Disable methods from Vista/2k8 onwards.
The other obvious place to look is Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration.
Although
that doesn't have a straightforward Enable/Disable, you might achieve
the same
effect by turning off DHCP and giving it a NULL static address. Or
something.

TJG