[python-win32] A little help for a n00b, please

Alan Jump alan.jump at gmail.com
Sun May 6 19:07:14 CEST 2012

(Originally sent just to Tim...serves me right for trying to think
before I've had my second cuppa.)

Much obliged to both you and Vernon. I'm going to be adding quite a few
code snippets to these emails, just to let the various search engines
work their magic in case anyone besides me is running into the same problem.

I tried a couple of the extended commands on the web page, and still got
the same exception message. The altered section is as follows:

        if platform.system() == 'Windows':
            try:
                import win32api
                import win32print # new import to allow for direction to
default printer
            except:
                print('* FAILED TO LOAD WINDOWS EXTENSION')
                return
            try:
                win32api.ShellExecute (0, "printto", filename,
                                       '"%s"' %
win32print.GetDefaultPrinter (),
                                       ".", 0) # altered ShellExecute()
parameter
            except:
                print('* FAILED TO SEND PRINT TO WINDOWS PRINTER')
                return

I ran a code evaluation in my IDE (Wing IDE, for those keeping score).
The error message:

    pywintypes.error: (31, 'ShellExecute', 'A device attached to the
system is not functioning.')

I double-checked that the interpreter was seeing the printer:

>>> win32print.GetDefaultPrinter()
'Canon iP4800 series'

Taking Vernon's hint, I was also not able to print a file using the
command-line "print" statement. So although the
win32print.GetDefaultPrinter() function is seeing the default printer
correctly, and the printer operates correctly in any actual WinXX
program, it's not being recognized outside WinXX. The problem with using
the "print" command, though, is that it wants to see either the default
PRN device, or a specific output port (USB7:, LPT0:, etc.)

The next troubleshooting step is to see if there are driver updates,
since it's not printing from the command line.

Thanks again.

73 de N5ILN/6
Alan