[python-win32] Retrieve file property values

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon May 28 16:19:14 CEST 2012

On 27/05/2012 11:54, damien moloney wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Have been unable to retrieve the windows file properties/attributes
> under "Subject", and "Description". for .msi files on a Win XP c using
> win32api. Have been able to get version type info,
> but unable to get much more. I came across the following "fromwin32com
> importstoragecon # constants related to storage functions." which looked
> promising but fell over as the .msi files I was looking at are not
> "storage files". Any ides on where next.

This is a bit more complicated than you might like. I have
a half-hearted example here:

http://timgolden.me.uk/python/win32_how_do_i/get-document-summary-info.html

and the in-dev version of my winshell module includes some more
general-purpose code which you might at least want to look at
even though it's not 100% at the moment:

  https://github.com/tjguk/winshell

Part of the difficulty is that Windows has switched between two
approaches to this area which doesn't help when trying to get
examples.

TJG