[PythonCE] How does one build PythonCE?

Christopher Fairbairn christopher at christec.co.nz
Thu Dec 13 21:48:37 CET 2007

Hi,

On Fri Dec 14  1:47 , Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> sent:
>We recently switched to MS Visual Studio 2005 and now I'm wondering
>how to build a fresh Python binary using that.  I've download the
>source patches from SF.net and applied those to the head of Python's
>release25-maint branch.  I then build using 'scons.bat' in the PCbuild/
>WinCE directory which, after some patching, results in an executable.
>So far, so good.

I've got some patches to msevc.py so that the build should autodetect the presence
of either EVC or Visual Studio 2005 (or 2008) and configure the build process
correctly. I just haven't had time to tidy them up and publish them. Maybe I'll get
some time over the Christmas break.

Would you be keen of giving these patches a "beta test" on your system once I've
got them ready?

Likewise if you have any patches to allow building against release25-maint I'd be
interested in combining them with my current improvements to the port.

>That doesn't include the sqlite extension though, and when I use
>'scons.bat cab' I get an error about not finding the sqlite3 header
>files. The reason for that is obvious, the solution is less so. The
>build complains because I have to download the sqlite sources and
>store them somewhere, but I have no idea where they should be stored.

The download of PythonCE source code would have placed the source in a directory
called "Python-2.5". You need to place the sqlite-ce source code in a directory
beside this folder (i.e. the main folder has both a Python-2.5 and Sqlite
subfolder). The name it should have depends upon the exact version of sqlite your
PythonCE source code has been hardcoded for. For my current branch I need to place
it into a directory called sqlite-source-3.3.5-wince.

The exact path can be determined by opening up the SConstruct file. It should have
a line containing a line like the following:

sqlite_source = '#../../../sqlite-source-3.3.5-wince'

Hope this helps,
Christopher Fairbairn