[Pythonmac-SIG] IDLE on OS X

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:54:01 +0200

Mitchel,
the confusion you see is the result of OSX still being pretty new, and
things not having settled down yet. At the moment there are (from a user
point of view) three variations of Python for OSX (old MacPython,
framework-Python (aka MachoPython, and the candidate for MacPython 2.3
for OSX) and unix-Python) and two variations of Tk (X11-Tk and AquaTk).

Out of the six possible combinations 2 or 3 work. The one you picked
(unix-Python + X11-Tk + XDarwin server) works, but the consensus is that
this is a stopgap: running X11 on OSX is not goint to be something for
the masses. The combination that is expected to become the standard is
framework-Python with AquaTk, but these should still be considered
experimental at this point in time.