[Pythonmac-SIG] compiling PIL on OS-X.2: Jaguar

Chris Barker Chris.Barker@noaa.gov
Mon, 7 Oct 2002 16:42:26 -0700

Hi all,

I'm trying to compile PIL on OS-X 10.2.1, to work with the version of
Python2.2 that it shipped with (the straight Unix build)

I downloaded the tarball for Imaging-1.1.3, unpacked it, and tried the
basic:

$ cd Imaging-1.1.3/libImaging
$ ./configure
$ make
$ cd ..
$ python setup.py build

What I got what a bunch of messages like:

ld: warning build/temp.darwin-6.1-Power Macintosh-2.2/_imaging.o
cputype (18, architecture ppc) does not match cputype (7) for specified
-arch flag: i386 (file not loaded)

why would there be an "-arch flag:i386" there???

I also got errors about libjpeg not being there, so i downloaded
jpegsrc.V6b.tar.gz, unpacked and compiled that. It seemed to work fine
of I did a staight ./configure, make, make install, but if I tried
./configure --enable-shared --enable-static, but that didn't seem to
work well. In any case, with the standard build I got a libjpeg.a file,
is that what I need?

Any hint would help, I really would like to get this working. BTW, I
have no need, at the moment, for the TK stuff, which I imagine would be
a whole other ball of wax to get working.

thanks,
-Chris