[Pythonmac-SIG] SciPy-0.2.0

Andrew Straw andrew.straw@adelaide.edu.au
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 15:04:53 +0930

On Sunday, April 20, 2003, at 07:02  AM, Willard Myers wrote:

> On Friday, Apr 18, 2003, at 00:35 America/New_York, Andrew Straw wrote:
>
>> I've got scipy working just fine on my mac os x box.  I'm using
>> MacPython 2.3a2 and a recent CVS checkout of scipy.
>
> Thanks! It helps to know that it is doable.
>
> If you have a moment, I'd like to know how you dealt with building the
> fortran source, and whether or not you found a way to use Apple's BLAS
> and LAPACK libraries in the vecLib framework?

That's funny -- I asked the same thing on the SciPy list several months
ago.  It seems like a good idea, but IIRC the scipy folks wrap fortran,
and I think the apple stuff is CLAPACK.  Still, although I'm not an
expert on this stuff and haven't done any benchmarking, I've been using
ATLAS, which seems fast.  I used fink to install atlas, etc (and even a
version of python that I never use), and then I compiled scipy from CVS
after creating (from a default copy sitting nearby)
scipy_core/scipy_distutils/site.cfg and adding /sw/lib and /sw/include
to the [DEFAULT] section.

It's worth it.

Cheers!
Andrew