[Pythonmac-SIG] MacPython 2.3a2 on OSX 10.1

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen@cwi.nl
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:42:14 +0100

Pascal, John (and others),
I think I've found the problem with running applets on 10.1. It seems
that the new trick that Just invented, having the applet main program
being a python (or shell) bootstrap script with a #! line, and using
that script to fire up the real Python script, doesn't work under 10.1.

I've tried a couple of #! scripts in .app bundles on 10.1, but they
invariably give me an "Error -2857" on the console.
So I guess this means that having a script as the main program in a
.app bundle doesn't work under 10.1:-(

I'm not sure how to proceed. We could scrap 10.1 support for MacPython,
but that doesn't seem like a nice option. We could scrap Just's applet
mods, but that I'm also not too excited about, the bundlebuilder stuff
is a lot nicer than the buildtools hacks I used previously to create
OSX applets. Moreover, bundlebuilder is also used for the
PyObjC/applet-python-2.2 combo, and it's good to have only one way of
doing things. We could replace the #! script by a true executable, but
this would mean we'd have to store the boilerplate for that executable
somewhere, and one of the nice things about the bundlebuilder solution
is that it doesn't need any applet template anymore. Also, a true
executable would still have to find out which script to run (although
that could be coded in the .plist file, probably).
Goldman