[Pythonmac-SIG] py2app standalone options

Jordan Krushen jkrushen at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 03:36:39 CET 2004

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:20:01 -0500, Bob Ippolito <bob at redivi.com> wrote:

> py2app tries very hard, by default, to make the Python environment
> consistent regardless of what the end user has done to their system.
> This includes stomping on any PYTHONPATH and ignoring any site-packages
> that the user has.  Due to this, the developer, on their development
> machine, can be reasonably certain that their application will run
> anywhere (for a reasonable expectation of anywhere) if it runs at all.
> So if modulegraph DID miss something, then the developer will know
> about it before he even tries running the application on another
> machine.
>
> Maybe I am doing a little too much forced-hand-holding and insulting
> the developer's intelligence a bit, but given the issues that I've seen
> with similar solutions (particularly py2exe and bundlebuilder) and the
> general lack of "appreciation" for the myriad of subtle ways you can
> bork a Python installation on the Mac, I think this is the right
> solution.

Being a long-time BSD user and after using OS X for a couple years, I
can vouch for the fact that installing another version of Python,
after even a couple weeks of lurking on any of these lists, is a scary
notion when you start to care about deployment.  It feels like a large
proportion of posts here are about that very problem.

> If you don't want an application packager that does the right thing
> more often than not, feel free to use bundlebuilder.  If you want a
> feature in py2app that I don't want to implement, you're going to have
> to implement it yourself, make an astoundingly good case for it and
> change my mind, or attempt to bribe me :)  I perform a public service,
> but I'm not a public servant!

After I eventually discovered how py2app does plugins, due primarily
to your help, I can state that I'm quite pleased!  I now have a
suitably distinct boundary (at least in my mind) between ObjC views
and controllers and Python models, which suits this particular
workflow nicely.

Just wanted to let you guys know that your work is both appreciated
and impressive.

J.