[Pythonmac-SIG] Py2App 0.1.7

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Dec 31 01:52:56 CET 2004

On Dec 30, 2004, at 7:31 PM, Chris Barker wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> py2app is not a package, it's just a directory pointed to by a pth.
>
> but couldn't be? I why isn't it in site-packages anyway? Though I
> imagine you have a good reason, I'd like to know what it is. The whole
> pth thing seems kind of clunky to me.

I'm using a pth file so that I can put five separate packages in the
same place that don't have a whole lot to do with each other but should
be distributed together.  Adding an extra level of nesting to the
python namespace would just be a pain in the ass for me and no real
help to anyone.

>> The packages altgraph (my fork of "graphlib"), modulegraph,
>> bdist_mpkg, macholib, and py2app are all exclusively maintained by
>> me, and are only released as part of py2app.
>
> So putting them in the py2app dir, where you have them now, makes
> sense.

Exactly, that's what the pth file is for.

>> You don't need them for "something else", especially an older version.
>
> When this problem arose, I just did a quick google search for
> altgraph, and it looked like a generally useful package, so It wasn't
> clear that it is used exclusively for py2app.

Sounds like you found another package on google.. unless the references
are in my svn repo or blog, it shouldn't be mentioned anywhere.

It is pretty useful, but I'm not willing to support it.  If you want
stability or documentation, you're better off using graphlib.  Even
though I have made some enhancements, I reserve the right to do
whatever I want to altgraph at this time.

> Oh well, I've got it all working now, very well, as a matter of fact.
>
> Now I just need to figure out how to give my app an icon.

1) make an icns file
2.a) name it the same thing as your main script and add it to
data_files or resources
2.b) specify it with the iconfile option
2.c) add it to data_files or resources with any name and specify it
with a CFBundleIcon plist key