[Pythonmac-SIG] Building 4Suite on Panther (Mac OS X 10.3.x)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jan 2 19:24:00 EST 2004

There are two relatively small platform bugs in the 4Suite build
process that prevent it from building properly on Panther.  This is
from looking at 1.0a3, not all of the tests passed and I don't have any
experience with 4Suite to determine whether or not these are "expected"
so I am not going to put it in my PackageManager repository yet.

1)  It assumes a really brain-dead Python and tries to link it with
-flat_namespace.  That's not necessary nor desired (except MAYBE on OS
X 10.2's awfully broken Python 2.2.0, but you don't need
-flat_namespace if you use -bundle_loader).  Edit
Ft/Lib/DistExt/PackageManager.py and remove the code that adds
'-flat_namespace' to the linker flags if the platform is 'darwin'.

2) It assumes that you can get a pointer to environ from a
bundle/dylib, you can't.  Change the "environ" trap in
Ft/Server/Server/src/process.c to the following:
#if !defined(_MSC_VER) && !defined(__APPLE__) && (
!defined(__WATCOMC__) || defined(__QNX__) )
extern char **environ;
#elif defined(__APPLE__)
#include <crt_externs.h>
#define environ (*_NSGetEnviron())