[Pythonmac-SIG] Finder Crash, after moving files....
junkster at rochester.rr.com
Sun Jul 4 22:44:34 EDT 2004
On Jul 4, 2004, at 4:00 PM, Jack Jansen wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2004, at 12:22, Benjamin Schollnick wrote:
>> After, roughly, only .... <cough> <cough> four thousand and twenty
>> five <cough> <cough> findertools.move's, the finder will crash....
> I can think of two things you may want to investigate:
> 1. Is it always the same file (or filename) that causes the problem?
> Should be easy to test by, say, removing the first folder that would
> normally be processed
Nope.... It does not matter the filename, nor the location.... If you
move roughly 4000+ files, expect the finder to "lock"...
> 2. You're running out of some resource, probably a resource of which
> there are 4095 and 70 are already tied up to other purposes. After
> 4000 files, go into a long sleep(). Start up Activity Monitor, select
> the Finder and use the Inspect command to check whether it has 4000
> files open or something. The same for Python.
What I have discovered since then...
1) It does not have to be a single execution. Move 2500, wait 5
minutes, move another 1500, and expect problems... This will occur
even after the program has exited. (i.e. Run Program A, move 2500. A
closes.. Wait 15 minutes.. Run A again. Or Execute B, etc.
2) I am not sure what I am looking for in the Activity monitor...
a) File Opens, does not list any of the files that I am moving.
b) Finder starts with roughly 4.x MB of Private memory size. This
will eventually move to be roughly 16.69 MB.
c) After the lock up, the Finder starts are:
1) Real Memory Size: 29.73M --- New Finder ~13.61
2) Shared Memory : 36.44Mb --- New Finder ~ 32.51
3) Private Memory Size: 16.69 Mb --- New Finder ~3.50
4) Virtual Private Memory : 26.80 Mb --- New Finder ~ 28.90
5) Faults: 74341 (???? What's this? Page Faults?) --- New 6746
6) Page Ins: 129 --- New : 0
7) Ports : 7303 (???) --- New : 91
8) Context Switchs : 85323 --- New : 1225
(New / New Finder, means reading taken against the new finder (i.e.
3) Sample will not work against the finder after the lock up happens.
More information about the Pythonmac-SIG