[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac OS X 10.3 and Tkinter

Larry Meyn Larry.A.Meyn at nasa.gov
Sat Sep 11 03:00:28 CEST 2004

Damien,

Your answer can be found in the MacPython FAQ located at
http://www.pythonmac.org/wiki/FAQ
I've copied the relevant FAQ below.  Good luck!

Larry

3.7 The IDE crashes when I run a Tkinter script (PyObjC script,
wxPython script)

The IDE uses the old Carbon GUI toolbox for its windowing. Trying to
run a script that brings in its own GUI toolbox (such as Tck/Tk, Cocoa,
wxWindows or anything else) will cause great confusion: redraws and
events for the toolboxes will be sent to the wrong place, etc. At best
things will not work as expected, at worst the IDE will crash.

  For the time being you should run almost all scripts that use a
windowing toolbox outside the IDE, either with the pythonw program from
a Terminal window or with PythonLauncher from the Finder.

On Sep 10, 2004, at 3:10 PM, Damien JACOMY wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> the IDE crashes every time when running this test :
> import _tkinter  => ok
> import Tkinter  => ok
> Tkinter._test()  => the widget open and then CRASH!!!!
>
>  the stack trace in the Console window is :
> Fatal Python error: PyEval_SaveThread: NULL tstate
>
> Thanks for you help.
>
> --
> Damien JACOMY
> <djacomy at yahoo.fr>