[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Matplotlib-users] matplotlib OS-X binary problems.

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Sat Feb 5 00:09:12 CET 2005

John Hunter wrote:

> I do statically link png, freetype and zlib for win32 so that users
> don't have to install any of those prereqs.

Thanks John, I have a plan now.

I have a question, however. How do I get distutils to statically link a
given lib? the only method I have now is to make sure that only the
static lib is available. I can do that (for the moment) with libpng, but
for freetype, I have a problem. In setupext.py, there is:

basedir = {
     'darwin' : ['/usr/local', '/usr', '/sw', '/usr/X11R6'],
}

There is a libfreetype in /usr/X11R6, but only if X11 is installed, so I
don't want to use it. However, I imagine that /usr/X11R6 is required to
the GTK build, so I can't take that out. Any ideas?

I notice that for win32, you have only:

basedir = {
     'win32'  : ['win32_static',],

Should I do that for darwin, and put my static libs in there?

I'm off to try some of this.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov