[Pythonmac-SIG] Qualcomm Purevoice codec

Roger Binns rogerb at rogerbinns.com
Tue Feb 22 08:24:53 CET 2005

Can anyone give me hints on how to access the Qualcomm Purevoice
codec that is part of Quicktime from Python?

In BitPim we convert between wav and Purevoice using the convertor
that Qualcomm provides:

http://www.cdmatech.com/solutions/products/purevoice_download.jsp

Note that they don't supply it for MacOS X.  There is however a
codec inside Quicktime.  Ideally I want as close functionality
as possible as their Windows and Linux binaries.

In those cases the command line tool is named pvconv and takes
one parameter.  If given a wav file (mono, 8000Hz sampling rate)
then it is converted to a corresponding Purevoice file with a
.qcp extension.  If given a qcp file then it is converted to
wav.

I'd also be happy with C code that accomplishes the same thing
since I can package that up as a binary or Python module.

The format is also known sometimes as QCELP.

I couldn't find anything relevant using Google.  There is a
Carbon.QT module but none of the methods appear to do any
form of conversion.  Carbon.Snd only appears to do recording
and playback from the audio device and doesn't know about
codecs.

Roger