[Pythonmac-SIG] Versions, Frameworks, Linking, PantherPythonFix

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Feb 23 14:54:01 CET 2005

On Feb 23, 2005, at 8:13, Markus Weissmann wrote:

> On 23. Feb 2005, at 8:39 Uhr, Roger Binns wrote:
>
>> I actually can't see *any* benefit to me at all of Apple's Python.
>>
>> Are there any instructions anywhere on how to remove Apple's
>> version, and put on an official Python.org blessed version and
>> ensure the latter resides somewhere on my path?
>>

> If you don't see any benefit in a Framework installation of Python,
> then there probably aren't any for you... =)
>
> You could then install python from DarwinPorts [1] or fink [2] and they
> will happily live beside Apple's version - just let the newly installed
> python precede Apple's python in your $PATH and you'll be done.

Non-framework builds of Python don't ship with a Python interpreter in
an application bundle, so there is no 'pythonw' script.  That makes it
impossible to run a Carbon or Cocoa based GUI app before going through
py2app or bundlebuilder (you should do that anyway, but...).

His problem with Apple's Python has nothing to do with the fact that
it's a framework build, anyway.