[Pythonmac-SIG] Appscript Installer 1.1a1

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Jun 3 17:33:24 CEST 2005

On Jun 3, 2005, at 2:37 AM, has wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> An installer, as built by bdist_mpkg, won't install anything unless
>> Python is where it expects it to be.  Thus, it's not possible to
>> install into a framework that doesn't exist.
>>

> Interjecting a moment, the appscript installer needs to carry both
> 2.3 and 2.4 versions of half a dozen package binaries (including
> osaterminology, which needs to be hand-built across two different
> OSes), so that it can install the appropriate set of binaries into
> each Python.framework it finds: Apple-installed 2.3.x on 10.3 and
> 10.4, user-installed 2.4.x on either; maybe more. Plus a couple pre-
> built helper apps to go in /Applications/Utilities.

That sounds awful, I'd like to know which one I'm installing and what
version of Python the applications in /Applications/Utilities are
going to use.  You should make separate installers.

> Is bdist_mpkg suitable for building such general-purpose
> installers? My impression was that it's limited to building a
> binary installer for a single Python package on a single major
> Python version, or can it do more?

It can't do more, but you can use the mpkgs it outputs as packages
for another mpkg.  You shouldn't be building packages that install
Python stuff by hand.