[Pythonmac-SIG] what's the plural of

fghorow.11707581@bloglines.com fghorow.11707581 at bloglines.com
Thu Jun 16 03:08:43 CEST 2005

--- Charles Hartman <charles.hartman at conncoll.edu wrote:
I'd like to reintroduce
myself to Emacs, so I went looking for "the
> Mac version". There seem
to be at least two, maybe more, even just
> from Apple. Can anyone give
me the thumbnail version of why I should
> get one or another?
>
> Charles
Hartman

As others have opined, "emacsen" seems to be in common usage.

Others have mentioned GNU emacs in various configurations (including one
compiled for Carbon).

I'd just like to point out that Andrew Choi (who
did(?)/was involved in(?) the <a href="http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-emacs/index.html">original
port of GNU Emacs to Carbon</a> has since retired from OSX GNU Emacs maintainance
role, and is now completing a <a href="http://members.shaw.ca/akochoi-xemacs/index.html">port
of XEmacs to Carbon</a>. In plain English, this means that XEmacs runs on
OSX natively, without needing to run X11 (as in the fink version of XEmacs).
N.B. You need to compile from source, but Andrew's instructions are excellent.

Hope this helps someone else.

(As to why you'd choose between GNU Emacs
and XEmacs, that's a well known and aged fork. Google for JWZ's opinion on
the subject. In other words, it's a religious war...)