[Pythonmac-SIG] How do you install TkInter for python 2.4 (on 10.3)

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Thu Jun 16 23:38:56 CEST 2005

Chris Barker wrote:
> Thanks Bob.
>
> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>>On Jun 16, 2005, at 4:46 PM, Chris Barker wrote:
>
>>>Is it part of the standard install now?
>>
>>Yes, from <http://undefined.org/python/#python>:
>>Unlike typical builds, this one has all the stock goodies:
>>
>>readline 5.0.005 (static)
>>BerkeleyDB 4.3.27 (static)
>>waste (static)
>>Tcl/Tk Aqua 8.4.9 (dynamic - you'll need TclTkAqua to use Tkinter if
>>using on Mac OS X 10.3)
>
> Does that mean that TclTkAqua comes with 10.4 ?

Yes.

[~] kern$ ls -d /System/Library/Frameworks/{Tcl,Tk}.framework/
/System/Library/Frameworks/Tcl.framework/
/System/Library/Frameworks/Tk.framework/

> I'd still like to know why you haven't put this on pythonmac.org . I'm a
> big believer in one-stop shopping.
>
> I'm writing up instructions for building matplotlib, so I wanted to know
> what to tell people that wanted matpotlib to work with TK.
>
> I'll be sending you new matplotlib installers soon, one for 2.3.0, and
> one for 2.4 (built on 10.3)

I have had problems with matplotlib/Tk/Python2.4 on Tiger with both the
Apple-installed frameworks and freshly downloaded ones. Python freezes
for a long time (I haven't timed it; maybe for a half-hour?) and then
drops a nice crash window with a stack trace in the Tcl internals. I
haven't been able to track down the problem, but it is
matplotlib-specific. I recommend wxPython 2.6.1 on Tiger for matplotlib.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter