[Pythonmac-SIG] Mac Python is DEAD

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Wed Apr 19 15:53:07 CEST 2006

Bill Janssen wrote:

> In my opinion, the problem is the term "MacPython".  Python is Python,
> period, and we should just call it that, even if it's running on the Mac
> platform.  Perhaps this was different in the pre-OSX days, but not now.

On OS X I think of the 'MacPython' name more as a way to identify the particular distribution: MacPython, Fink Python, ActiveState Python, etc. It'd probably make more sense in that respect if it was 'Mac Python' rather than 'MacPython', but that's just an artifact of how it's evolved.

Personally I have no problem dropping the 'Mac' prefix if it proves to be causing more confusion than it solves. Might need to think of a new distribution name though.

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/