[Pythonmac-SIG] Fixing the documentation...

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Wed Apr 19 20:06:41 CEST 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>In addition, all mentions of OS 9 should either be expunged (e.g. the 'using Python on Mac OS 9' chapter) or changed to 'not supported' (should they still need to be documented for any reason).
>
>Mac OS 9 is definitely no longer supported at all.  The *final* release for OS 9 is 2.3.3.  There are no plans of there ever being a current version for that platform again.

OK, expunge all mentions of 'OS 9' then. Agree with the rest too, apart from a couple things I'm not sure about:

>>>       2.7 EasyDialogs -- Basic Macintosh dialogs
>>[...]
>
>Remove, it depends on waste.

Didn't see a waste dependency in the module; you sure about that? I've tried it and it still seems to be working okay (as well as it ever did, anyway), in which case immediate removal is not necessary. I wouldn't be averse to deprecating it just on general principle though. :)

>>>       4.4 Carbon.CF -- Core Foundation
>
>This one is kinda broken and is irrelevant when PyObjC is installed.
>It might have some minimal usage somewhere though.  I'd deprecate it.

How about putting a warning note on it for now saying it's buggy, and if nobody loves it enough to submit patches in the next year then deprecate it for 2.6? Inasmuch as the standard library includes any Mac-specific extensions in the first place you'd kinda expect it to include this one, so maybe give it a last opportunity before completely writing it off.

>>>4)  Should we document some of the newer stuff?
>>[...]
>>plistlib probably ought to be mentioned. I suspect it's evil, as it's not using the Property List Services API, but am not familiar enough with it to really say anything more with confidence.
>
>plistlib works ok.  It used to be horribly broken, but the current version should be spec compliant.

Including binary plists and all that? I've not tried it recently so wouldn't know.

Cheers,

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/