[Pythonmac-SIG] New wiki entry on Universal libraries and extensions

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 24 20:14:18 CEST 2006

Daniel Lord wrote:
> I made good on my threat and wrote it up.

Thanks for writing this up.

Maybe it should be part of:

http://pythonmac.org/wiki/UniversalPackages

or at least linked there.

> please review my content and let's get anything
> incorrect fixed.

For now, I've just fixed a couple typos and formatting errors.

My primary comment is that you're discussing building a Universal
package, but keeping the external libs installed with the standard "make
install". I haven't tried your scheme yet, but usually that results in
dynamic libs being built, sometimes by themselves, and sometimes along
with the static libs. The trick here is that you can sometimes get the
dynamic libs instead of the static ones when you link. Either way, it
will work fine on your system, but there's really no point in building a
Universal Package if you're not trying to distribute it (or a Py2App
bundle built with it)

That's why I put the static libs I build into a a special place inside
my home directory -- I can be sure that's what's getting linked.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov