[Pythonmac-SIG] a beginner's list

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Tue Feb 7 12:47:07 CET 2006

Bill Janssen wrote:

>I think this is a wonderful example of the mindset that's wrong with
>the current situation.  An afternoon's work?

Bill nails it. Charles has done some good work here (first draft is always the hardest); now let's kick the tar out of it so it'll grow incredibly big and strong. Bless the Scientific Method. :)

If you're serious about marketing to new users, and not just serving the existing community, then technical arguments be damned: it's all about creating the right "Wow is this stuff  so fast and easy!" first impression.

Because if we don't, there's plenty other P-languages that'll be happy to grab 'em instead.

Therefore, you have to provide a two-track approach:

1. The "Python in 30 seconds or less" hook to snag new users and casual passers-by, leveraging what's already installed whenever possible.

2. The "Python for serious developers" to get 'em kitted out with the latest and greatest once we've won them over and they wish to go further.

>*Don't* deprecate the Apple pre-installed Python!  Rejoice in it!  And
>then hint that even better things are available in 2.4.x...

Amen. Never denigrate (in the newcomer's eyes) the product you're trying to sell. Python 2.3.x might not be the latest and greatest, but it still meets a whole lot of needs for virtually zero effort. Therefore, the pitch should be:

Pre-installed Python = Great
Cutting-edge Python = Even Greater

HTH

has

p.s. Apologies for not contributing more right now, but I'm a bit up to the ears in deadline work. Hopefully when it calms down a bit...
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/