[Pythonmac-SIG] New Page, first proposal

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Feb 10 22:29:12 CET 2006

On Feb 10, 2006, at 1:00 PM, Nicholas Riley wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 10, 2006 at 12:37:55PM -0800, Christopher Barker wrote:
>> Yes, but it then puts the scripts in the weird bin directory
>> buried in
>> the Framework, and one extra step is one extra step too many.
>
> This definitely needs to be a FAQ, at least, if not a changed default
> in the Python framework install.  I've seen this catch a large number
> of people using Python web apps that install scripts for management,
> such as Trac, TurboGears and so forth.  Even if we could just
> recommend a ~/.pydistutils.cfg like this:
>
> [install]
> install_scripts = /usr/local/bin
>
> we'd be better off.

My current plan is to add the framework's bin path to the installer's
post-flight.

Pros:
We can skip /usr/local/bin entirely and avoid the chance that the
user wants other things in /usr/local/bin to come in a different
order on PATH.
We don't have to tweak a single distutils setting

Cons:
Different than what we do now

Transitionally, probably the right answer is to keep the symlinks in /
usr/local/bin, but only put the framework's bin dir on the PATH.