[Pythonmac-SIG] My stab at a new page

Christopher Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Fri Feb 10 23:28:01 CET 2006

Bob Ippolito wrote:

> Currently, ActivePython on Mac OS X is almost exactly the same thing
> that we're going to be shipping with the universal build of 2.4.2.  The
> differences will be:
>
> 1. They aren't shipping readline, we will

This matters quite a bit, I think.

> 2. We'll probably ship universal first

Always good to be on the bleeding edge!

> 3. I don't believe they have the PATH hack in their installer

That matters too: we've spent enough time nattering on about that to
prove it!

> 4. They ship with an ActivePython icon for pythonw, we'll stick with the
> current icon.

I don't give a *&&^^& what the icon is.

I don't know why, but somehow I feel better about depending on Bob I.,
than I do about depending on ActiveState. As long as Bob os willing to
build what we've been discussing, I say we go with that.

There does need to be a mention of other Python installers somewhere
anyway, and ActiveState should certainly be listed.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov