[Pythonmac-SIG] ascii <-> unicode <-> cocoa NSString

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Feb 20 22:16:59 CET 2006

On Feb 20, 2006, at 1:05 PM, Keith Ray wrote:

> PyFIT gives me ascii strings,and I am trying to call cocoa (and
> eventually some applescript) functions from Python. I tried
>
> from Foundation import NSString
> from AppKit import NSWorkspace
> import os.path
>
> ....etc...
>
>         ws = NSWorkspace.sharedWorkspace()
>         uapplicationpath = unicode(self.applicationpath, 'ascii')
>         self.launchsuccess = ws.launchApplication_(
> NSString.stringWithString_(uapplicationpath) )
>
> but get a traceback:
>
>  line 23, in result
>     uapplicationpath = unicode(self.applicationpath, 'ascii')
> TypeError: decoding Unicode is not supported

unicode(someUnicodeString, someEncoding) is always an error.  You
must already have a unicode string for self.applicationpath.

$ python
Python 2.4.2 (#2, Feb  4 2006, 22:23:07)
 >>> unicode(u'incorrect code', 'ascii')
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
TypeError: decoding Unicode is not supported