[Pythonmac-SIG] Python 2.4.2 on Mac OS X 10.4.5: aquaTk GUI problem since 2.4.1

William Scott wgscott at chemistry.ucsc.edu
Sat Feb 25 18:27:25 CET 2006

Hi Folks:

This is my first question here.

I recently upgraded my Framework install of python.  I can verify
that the aqua version of Tkinter still works, using a "Hello" test
button, and I can run the Pmw demos.  The problem arises now with a
more complicated program: pymol. This is an x-windows-based program
with a pwm menu.  When I start it, I now get the error:

Tk_MacOSXSetupTkNotifier: first [load] of TkAqua has to occur in the
main thread!

I understand the limitations with the aqua Tk and multi-threading,
but this works absolutely fine with Python2.4.1 and earlier.

Is there some way to over-ride this protection mechanism (apart from
regressing to 2.4.1)?

Thanks.

Bill Scott