[SciPy-user] Help on speed of signal.convolve

Yichun Wei yichunwe at usc.edu
Fri Jan 7 18:56:32 EST 2005

Hi,

I'd like to convolve a (64,64,41) array (kernel) with a (64,64,1800)
array with mode='valid' . What would be the fastest method in scipy.

Here I tried with signal.convolve and it takes >400 s to solve.
a.shape is (64,64,41), b.shape is (64,64,1800)

res = signal.convolve (a, b, mode='same')

it took around 425 s to solve. I have the file dumped from profile, if
you want to have a look I can attach it. 'valid' and 'full' mode is
still running at the time I am writing. I am using the Enthought Python
with scipy 0.3. Is this performance normal on a P-IV 1.8G CPU.

How can I improve the performance of operations of this kind?
Any hint will be appreciated!

- yichun