[SciPy-user] Re: io.loadmat: broken?

Yichun Wei yichunwe at usc.edu
Tue Jan 11 18:09:30 EST 2005

Here is the file (I should have said that it is a .mat file saved using
-v6 option of Matlab 7):

 >> a = 1; save -v6 a.mat a
 >> clear
 >> load a.mat
a =
      1

The Enthought python with Scipy 0.3 loads this .mat file fine, however,
it is not the case with Scipy 0.3.2:

 >>> a = io.loadmat('a')
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\scipy\io\mio.py", line 692, in
loadmat
     thisdict = _loadv5(fid,basename)
   File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\scipy\io\mio.py", line 631, in
_loadv5
     el, varname = _get_element(fid)
   File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\scipy\io\mio.py", line 619, in
_get_elemen
     el, name = _parse_mimatrix(fid,numbytes)
   File "C:\Python23\Lib\site-packages\scipy\io\mio.py", line 510, in
_parse_mima
trix
     result = squeeze(transpose(reshape(result,dims[::-1])))
TypeError: Array can not be safely cast to required type

 >>> import scipy
 >>> scipy.__version__
'0.3.2_280.4176'

 >>> import Numeric
 >>> Numeric.__version__
'23.6'

I am not sure if this is brought by the new Numeric used here. This is
on a Win2k. I am not sure if it is the case on other platforms.

 > Could you attach the test file so that I can debug the problem?
 >
 > Thanks,

 > -Travis

Thanks for looking into this issue! I'm looking forward to use Scipy
0.3.2 so as to be able to work with wxpython 2.5.x.x, pythoncard etc...

regards,
yichun