[SciPy-user] bdist_rpm build error in scipy_core from CVS

Fernando Perez Fernando.Perez at colorado.edu
Mon Jan 31 14:57:32 EST 2005

Hi Stephen,

Stephen Walton wrote:
> Fernando Perez wrote:
>

>>Mmh, the 'no compatible archs...' message is coming straight from the
>>rpm command, not from make.py.  ...  I noticed the BuildArchitectures
>>flag in the atlas-base.spec file is set to i686.
>

> OK, after some experimentation:  BuildArchitectures consists of a
> space-separated list of architectures for which the package building is
> allowed.  It really is not needed unless there's some reason the package
> can't build on some architectures or the package is scripts only, in
> which case setting BuildArchitectures to "noarch" is appropriate.

[...]

> Summary of my suggestions:  Delete BuildArchitectures from
> atlas-base.spec.  Add "--target=noarch" to the rpmbuild command in make.py.

OK, many thanks for tracking this down.  I have a more generic question
though, now that you're familiar with my approach: do you agree with it?  What
I concluded was that the RPM 'arch' flags were not sufficient to address the
needs of something like ATLAS, since they lump everything since a Pentium Pro
into i686, and are similarly coarse-grained for Athlon.  That's why I decided
to use the hack of using the release tag to encode an additional architecture
flag according to ATLAS conventions, and take advantage of yum's new $YUM<N>
variables to load packages without conflicts.

I realize it's a bit hackish, but I don't see a better solution.  Do you agree
with me, or do you think this can be solved in a cleaner way?

If you agree, then I'll make the changes you suggested and we can use this to
quickly use/test/update the ATLAS binaries Pearu so kindly provides (I should
explicitly thank Pearu for this, it really is a great service to all of us).

Cheers,