[SciPy-user] how to filter outliers from an array

James Coughlan coughlan at ski.org
Mon Oct 30 15:48:57 EST 2006

How about this?

####
dx=rand(5,5) #substitute whatever matrices you're actually
dy=rand(5,5) #using here

import scipy.stats
#compute mean and std for dx and dy:
mx=stats.mean(dx.flat)
my=stats.mean(dy.flat)
sx=stats.std(dx.flat)
sy=stats.std(dy.flat)

wx=abs(dx-mx)>sx
wy=abs(dy-my)>sy
print wx | wy # logical or
####

Here wx and wy are arrays whose elements are set to True if they lie
more than 1 std. from mean. So wx | xy will flag those elements for
which either the x or y components are outliers.

James

Aaron Hoover wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I'm doing feature matching between two images and as a result I get
>back an array of dx, dy shift values in pixel space for potential
>features that match between two images. I'd like to be able to throw
>out [dx, dy] vectors for which either value deviates significantly
>(more than one std deviation, perhaps) from the mean (I'm dealing
>with 2D rigid body translations only. I could do this by looping over
>the values and comparing them individually to the mean, but I'm
>wondering if there's a more compact (single line?) way of doing this
>perhaps using the scipy.stats package. Something along the lines of
>the filter built-in for lists, but that handles the higher
>dimensionality, would be nice.
>
>Thanks,
>Aaron

James Coughlan, Ph.D., Associate Scientist

Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute

Email: coughlan at ski.org
Phone: 415-345-2146
Fax: 415-345-8455