[SciPy-user] BVP

lorenzo bolla lbolla at gmail.com
Fri Apr 11 09:11:35 EDT 2008

Hi all!

Is there any package to solve Boundary Value Problems with Scipy? I'm
thinking to something like Matlab's bvp4c.
I found this, by Pauli Virtanen:
http://www.elisanet.fi/ptvirtan/software/bvp/index.html, which is a wrapper
to COLNEW, but it fails to compile/install.
Here is the installation error:

----------------------
$> python setup.py install

setup.py:17: UserWarning:
    Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by setting
    the ATLAS environment variable.
  warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 63, in <module>
    setup(**configuration(top_path='').todict())
  File "setup.py", line 24, in configuration
    info = __import__('bvp/info')
ImportError: No module named bvp/info

----------------------

It looks like a problem with bvp/info, so I get rid of that instruction, but
I have a compilation problem:

----------------------

$ python setup.py
install
setup.py:17:
UserWarning:

    Atlas (http://math-atlas.sourceforge.net/) libraries not
found.
    Directories to search for the libraries can be specified in
the
    numpy/distutils/site.cfg file (section [atlas]) or by
setting
    the ATLAS environment
variable.

warnings.warn(AtlasNotFoundError.__doc__)

non-existing path in '.':
'lib/colnew.pyf'
non-existing path in '.':
'lib/mus.pyf'
Warning: Assuming default configuration (.\bvp\tests/{setup_tests,setup}.py
was not found)
Appending bvp.tests configuration to
bvp
Ignoring attempt to set 'name' (from 'bvp' to
'bvp.tests')
running
install

running
build

running
config_cc

unifing config_cc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --compiler
options
running
config_fc

unifing config_fc, config, build_clib, build_ext, build commands --fcompiler
options
running
build_src

building extension "bvp._colnew"
sources
  target build\src.win32-2.5\lib\_colnewmodule.c does not
exist:
   Assuming _colnewmodule.c was generated with "build_src --inplace"
command.
error: 'lib\\_colnewmodule.c'
missing

Any hints?