[SciPy-user] Issues with TeX symbols and font changes

Kacey A. intel.g33k at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 21:57:07 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 9:24 PM, <scipy-user-request at scipy.org> wrote:

> Message: 5
> Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 09:41:53 +0900
> From: David Cournapeau <david at ar.media.kyoto-u.ac.jp>
> Subject: Re: [SciPy-user] Issues with TeX symbols and font changes
> To: SciPy Users List <scipy-user at scipy.org>
>
> Kacey A. wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I've spent more time than I care to share trying to remedy this, but
> > it just doesn't seem to be working... So long story short, I'm trying
> > to insert a special symbol in my axis label, so I type the following:
> >
> > [1] xlabel = (r"Wavelength ($\AA$)")
> >
> > ...in order to receive the symbol for angstroms (an "A" with a circle
> > above it). Problem is... whereas the rest of my plot is in whatever
> > the default Scipy plot font is (Tahoma, perhaps?), the stubborn
> > angstroms symbol is in Times New Roman-esque font, which is bothering
> > me to no end. I've attempted just changing the font of the entire font
> > by using
> >
> > [2] font = {"fontname":"Times New Roman"}
> > [3] xlabel = (ur"Wavelength ($\AA$)", **font)
> >
> > ...but unfortunately that does nothing to affect the font of the axis
> > tickmark labels (i.e. the numbers along the axes) -- so while my axis
> > labels (excluding the angstrom symbol) and plot text (i.e.
> > text(x,y,string)) might be in the font set via command [2], the axis
> > numbering will *still* be in the default (i.e. Tahoma).
>
> I am not sure which package you are using for plotting, but in any case,
> this does not seem to be linked to scipy. Maybe you will have more luck
> on the maplotlib mailing list.
> >
> > For what help it's worth, I'm running OS X (10.4.11) and Python 2.5.1,
> > although I'm not 100% certain of what version of Scipy and Numpy I
> > have installed... (I *think* I'm running Scipy 0.3.2). I'm also using
> > TextMate to type and run my scripts.
>
> python -c "import scipy; scipy.version.version; import numpy;
> numpy.version.version"
>
> will give you this information, BTW.
>
> cheers,
>
> David

Thanks so much for those tips. I'll definitely ask the matplotlib mailing
list for tips. My apologies for spamming the wrong list -- I assumed it was
linked with SciPy but clearly I have much to learn about which package is
doing what :)

Also, thanks for that line on how to find version information, that'll
definitely be useful in the future.

Cheers,
Kacey