[SciPy-User] scikits.timeseries ImportError

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 09:51:39 EDT 2009

On 09/10/2009 07:29 AM, Dave wrote:
> I decided to try installing the latest scipy/numpy which seemed to work fine but
> afterwards I got an import error when trying to import the timeseries module.
>
> Upgrading my timeseries to the latest:
>
> M:\src\timeseries>svn up
> Fetching external item into 'scikits\timeseries\doc\sphinxext'
> External at revision 7375.
> At revision 2216.
>
> Still resulted in the same error:
>
> Python 2.5.4 (r254:67916, Dec 23 2008, 15:10:54) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)] on
> win32
> '1.4.0.dev7375'
> '0.8.0.dev5920'
> RuntimeError: FATAL: module compiled aslittle endian, but detected different
> endianness at runtime
> RuntimeError: FATAL: module compiled aslittle endian, but detected different
> endianness at runtime
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "<stdin>", line 1, in<module>
>    File "C:\dev\bin\Python25\Lib\site-packages\scikits\timeseries\__init__.py",
> line 13, in<module>
>      import const
>    File "C:\dev\bin\Python25\Lib\site-packages\scikits\timeseries\const.py", line
> 79, in<module>
>      from cseries import freq_constants
> ImportError: numpy.core.multiarray failed to import
> |>>>

> Whereas from the interpreter it appears to work:

> cseries appears to be a C file so I'm a bit stumped as to how to debug further.
> Any help appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
> Dave

If the numpy and scipy tests run then it is the timeseries scikit. I do
not use timeseries nor windows so I do not know if you are using a
binary version or built it from source. In the former case it probably
means it was compiled for earlier numpy/scipy versions so you probably
have to built it from source yourself. If you built it from source, then
I suspect that you have not removed all traces of the old timeseries
scikit and/or have not correctly built it from source - like removing
the build directory.

Bruce