[SciPy-User] [SciPy-dev] Bug/Error with chi-squared distribution and df<1

Bruce Southey bsouthey at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 15:02:21 EDT 2009

On 09/22/2009 01:48 PM, Pierre GM wrote:

> Mmh, could anybody point me to a *real* case where we would have less
> than 1 degree of freedom ?
> Check the definition of the X2 on wikipedia, for example: if k
> variables are iid scaled normal, their sum is X2 w/ k degrees of
> freedom (dfs). Naturally, k, the dfs are integers, and that makes
> quite sense to prevent the use of 0<  k<  1. Or returning NaNs instead
> of raising an exception...

The easy and common one is when using a likelihood ratio test when one
parameter is on a boundary. So when you use the LRT in a mixed effects
model with one random term to test that variance of that term is zero
then, you have to use a 50:50 mixture of chi-squared values at df=0 and
df=1.

The classic paper is:
Self, S. and Liang, K-Y. (1987) Asymptotic Properties of Maximum
Likelihood Estimators
and Likelihood Ratio Tests under Nonstandard Conditions. Journal of the
American
Statistical Association 82, 605-610.

Bruce