[SciPy-User] Parallel Differential Evolution

Rob Clewley rob.clewley at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 18:47:04 EST 2010

Hi,

Maybe the following is a useful implementation for you:

http://cci.lbl.gov/cctbx_sources/scitbx/differential_evolution.py

According to this file you need only the scitbx library, which
unfortunately looks non-trivial to install (it seems to be related to
Boost). However, this looks like an old code (stdlib no longer exists,
you'd just write "import random" now) and all the work done with
arrays using the scitbx library (index of minimum value, mean value,
etc.) can easily be done with the much more easily-installed numpy
library from scipy.org. You probably just need that, a simple graphing
package such as matplotlib, and a working environment such as Ipython.
Binary windows installers are available for all these from a simple
google search for "install X windows" where X is any of the above
packages (they will be found at sourceforge.net). Don't forget to
match the binary installer's version to your version of Python.

So instead of importing flex you'd import numpy and then make the
following substitutions (not tested):

numpy.zeros(X) instead of flex.double(X, 0)

1000*numpy.ones(X) instead of flex.double(X, 1000)

numpy.min(X) for flex.min(X), etc.

numpy.random.uniform(size=N) for flex.random_double(N)

If you get stuck post your code back here and someone can take a look.
Hope this helps,
Rob