[SciPy-User] frequency components of a signal buried in a noisy time domain signal

Ivo Maljevic ivo.maljevic at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 16:38:36 EST 2010

Maybe you can try sigview (http://www.sigview.com/), if that is what you
need, or you can invest some time in learning more about
spectral analysis, and then write your own software that will be tied to
your particular application / requirement.

I cannot give you a short answer to your question regarding the noise
bandwidth, but I can give you a few pointers.

1. When you have sampled signal which consists of desired signal + noise,
usually it helps to know what is the bandwidth of the desired signal.
In most applications that is the case, unless you are analyzing a completely
unknown signal (military applications, SETI, etc). Then you can filter the
signal to remove as much noise as possible.

2. In real world applications, there will always be some wideband noise
(i.e., thermal noise), and you might also have some narrowband
noise/interference. White noise is the most common type of wideband noise
that you would encounter, even though it may be "coloured" noise if you are
analyzing a signal at the output of nonideal Rx filter (for example in radio
systems).

3. As long as power spectral density of the signal is higher then the power
spectral density of the noise (at least in some portions of the spectrum),
simple FFT or periodogram (do a google search) approach will suffice.

Cheers,
Ivo