[SciPy-User] Questions about scipy.optimize.anneal

Christopher Jordan-Squire cjordan1 at uw.edu
Tue Jul 26 12:30:35 EDT 2011

On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 11:18 AM, Jason Heeris <jason.heeris at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 26 July 2011 23:46, Christopher Jordan-Squire <cjordan1 at uw.edu> wrote:
> > The docs are wrong. Judging from the source code, it appears that retval
> is
> > the final entry in the tuple of returned values and the rest are just
> > shifted up one. The floats in the docs are, apparently, really np.floats.
>
> Thanks for all the info — there's only one detail I'm still puzzled
> about: what would a "retval" of 5 indicate?

As advertised by the warning, it just seems to indicate that the point the
annealing cooled to wasn't the lowest point it encountered. Just a warning,
I think, that things are pretty screwed up and you should try a different
temperature schedule. But it's strange that's not in the docs.

-Chris Jordan-Squire