[SciPy-User] Disable singular matrix warning

Carlos Baptista carlossbaptista at gmail.com
Sun Aug 12 09:49:43 EDT 2012

Hello there,

I am fairly new to Python. As a self-test I re-programmed an old MATLAB
assignment in Python using NumPy, SciPy and Matplotlib. At a certain point
I am getting the following warning:

warning: (almost) singular matrix! (estimated cond. number: 1.87e+14)

This result is however expected and therefore I would like to disable this
warning. I am getting this warning from:

scipy.sparse.linalg.spsolve(A,b)

where A has a large condition number.

I have already tried the following to no avail:

========================

import warnings

with warnings.catch_warnings():

    warnings.filterwarnings("ignore",category=Warning)

    from poisson import solvePoisson

where solvePoisson is the function (located in poisson.py) in which the
above solve statement is executed.

How can I disable this singular matrix warning?

With kind regards,

Carlos