[SciPy-User] Vector Field Generation

Prashant animator333 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 05:02:44 EDT 2012

Hi,

I was googling for this problem where I myself don't know that exact
term to use for. It could be vector field, follow behaviour, flow field,
streamlines or anything else.

Please have a look at attached image "vector_field.jpg".

1. Three black rectangles represent polygons in 2d space.
2. Red color points are Master Points/Vectors in 2d space
3. Green color points are child points (no vector, only position)

Based on Master points I would like to generate vectors (vector field) on
child points.
I have also attached an image (image1.jpg) that shows desired result. In
this image resulting
child vectors has smooth transition which is what I am looking for. The
four white arrows can be considered
as Master vectors and rest of the points are childrens.

I am not sure if nearest neighbour search algorithm would be used but if
it's required then we have to consider
a situation.
I have pointed out a child point using darker black arrow in
vector_field.jpg. If we calculate
nearest master point for this point, it would give point "C", where correct
point would be "A" as point
"c" is far away based on polygon distribution.

I would really appreciate any pointers or suggestions for the problem.

Best Regards

Prashant