[spambayes-dev] 1.0 Build Testing (please!)

Richie Hindle richie at entrian.com
Wed Sep 22 09:07:13 CEST 2004

[Tony]
> I'm not familiar with VMWare.  Is it the stuff at www.vmware.com?

Yes, specifically http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html
VMWare Workstation is a software emulation of a PC's hardware, so you can
install a whole operating system within it to have a machine within a
machine.  When I run Linux, it's within VMWare running on my Windows
machine.  Likewise Windows 98 (because my real OS is XP).

> I gather you would do the actual build in VMWare, and not just testing?
> (This is rather off-topic, but I'm curious).

Yes, to make sure I wasn't picking up any cruft from last time.  VMWare
lets you take a snapshot of the virtual machine, so I have a snapshot
taken at the end of installing Windows 98.

I've tested the new build and it all works fine for me, except for
uploading an Outlook Express mailbox for bulk training - it only trained
on one message out of the mailbox.  Has anyone else seen this?

My other problem is probably not our fault (and probably the result of
trying to make by brain work first thing in the morning) but I set up an
Outlook Express filter for To: "spam," and it didn't fire, even though
SpamBayes was correctly prepending "spam," to the To: header.  Am I
missing something?  The filer was set to work on the Inbox, and to move
messages to a "Possible Spam" folder, but they are staying in the Inbox.
SpamBayes is working as advertised, but if there's something wrong with
Outlook Express that prevents the feature from being useful, it needs a
rethink.  As I say, it's probably me.  8-)

--
Richie Hindle
richie at entrian.com